Re: Flood

Explain me plz when I have to use "it" and when "this".
Lately I often hear something like this "I have a dildo, we will use this", but why not "we will use it"?
I thought that we use "this" when we point at something, for example - "this dildo" or just "this %something%".

Говоріть українською! Живіть українською! Відчувайте українською!

22 Востаннє редагувалося diogen (28.02.2016 16:37:59)

"this" and "it" are often interchangeable

var a = u + getSome();
Подякували: FakiNyan1

I see you guys using the word 'theme' wrong. If you mean a topic in the forum, it' s better to use 'thread', 'forum', or 'topic' itself. Most used is thread or forum though.

Подякували: 0xDADA11C7, leofun012

24 Востаннє редагувалося FakiNyan (31.03.2016 18:08:12)

what do u think about this think?

"We have to stop consuming our culture. We have to create culture. Don't watch TV, don't read magazines, don't even listen to NPR. Create your own roadshow. The nexus of space and time, where you are now, is the most immediate sector of your universe. And if you're
worrying about Michael Jackson or Bill Clinton or somebody else, you are disempowered. You are giving it all away to icons. Icons which are maintained by an electronic media, so that you want to dress like X or have lips like Y. This is shit-brained, this kind of
thinking. That is all cultural diversion. And what is real is you and your friends, your associations, your highs, your orgasms, your hopes, your plans, and your fears. And we are told no. We're unimportant, we're peripheral, get a degree, get a job, get a this, get a
that, and then you're a player. You don't even want to play in that game. You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that's being manufactured out of the bones
of a dying world. Where is that at?".

Говоріть українською! Живіть українською! Відчувайте українською!

25 Востаннє редагувалося P.Y. (31.03.2016 21:06:45)

I can agree with it.
However, even self-made culture will create its idols, someone will be a creator and someone will be a follower.

py -3 -m pip install git+https://github.com/snoack/python-goto
∩⍴○⌈⍴⍺/∧\∨/⊢○ ⌿⍀⍴⌊

What about using present perfect tense? Everyday, when I finish my work, I write a letter to my boss. I always think, what is correct? "I pushed and finished today" or "I've pushed and finished today"? How to feel that cases when we must use present perfect?

bvn написав:

What about using present perfect tense? Everyday, when I finish my work, I write a letter to my boss. I always think, what is correct? "I pushed and finished today" or "I've pushed and finished today"? How to feel that cases when we must use present perfect?

We use the present perfect if we want to show a result (the work is finished now).
If we want to say that work was finished in the past (for example:  one hour ago or yesterday, last week etc.), we use the past simple.